Tuesday 30 April 2013

Sacred Nature, Mediated Nature


This week I watched the videos by Bliss nEso and the Sigur Ros BBC and I had very different emotional reactions from each video. 


The first one that I watched was the Sigur Ros BBC video which felt emotionally uplifting, even though I couldn’t understand the words the images where so emotionally moving. I found the images to be breathtaking and awe inspiring and I was grateful for living on such a beautiful planet.


The Second video by Bliss nEso felt abrasive and negative. Even though it has a political message and is properly trying to influence change I felt like I was being yelled at and it was irritating.

The videos seem to be using a shock (Bliss nEso) and awe factor (Sigur Ros BBC) to inform and influence people. Both seem to be deeply spiritual but one made me feel angry about what is happening in the world whereas the other made me feel in awe of the beauty of the world. I feel for me personally the Sigur Ros BBC video is much more influential and powerful.


Personal Reflection:
I have always been very lucky I grew up in the country on a large property surrounded by nature.  I love visiting rainforests and the beach to recharge, relax and ground myself. I feel more at home in natural environments surrounded by nature. 

Even though I live in the middle of the city I still have a flower garden in my courtyard and any one wondering where are all the bees have gone plant more flowers I see them every day in my garden. (Hint they like yellow, white and purple flowers).  




Video References:

Images:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mossman_River_and_Gorge.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flowers.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eighty_Mile_Beach,_Western_Australia.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment